Sunday, November 10, 2013

Twitter sent me to Eventide Oyster

Eventide Oyster Company

86 Middle St, Portland, ME 04101   (207) 774-8538
http://www.eventideoysterco.com/

Dined here September 27, 2013

Recently, I vacationed for one week in Maine. I ended up at Eventide because once I entered the state of Maine I tweeted that I was looking for lobster rolls. The United Way of Portland replied to my tweet and suggested Eventide Oyster Company. I was hightailing up to Mt. Dessert Island so I did not stop in Portland but decided to visit the restaurant on my way back home. Thanks United Way of Greater Portland (@unitedwaygp) for the suggestion.

Eventide is a very small trendy type diner. Seating is at bar stools along the bar and stools along the windows with views of the street. Also there are two picnic tables indoors one that seats 4, the other seats 6. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable about oysters and how the menu items are prepared. The food is reasonably priced for this type of dining, in a tourist area. How does the food taste? It is good, decent tasting food. Not stellar, not OMG. The nice thing is nothing was heavily salted.

Potatoes tossed in aioli

The Bottarga Potatoes were good: a simple dish of tri-color fingerling potatoes fried and tossed in a minimal amount of aioli. No special seasonings, just tasted like potatoes. The clam chowder seasoned with salt pork should be renamed "pork chowder". There was no clam taste at all. The chowder had potatoes, large bits of pork, and in a few spoons I was awarded small minced bits of clam. The base of the clam chowder was not creamy but more the broth-style chowder. The color was cream but it was not at all creamy in texture. As pork chowder, it was decent pork chowder in broth but disappointing if you want clam chowder whether it be creamy, broth, or buttery. The biscuit served with the chowder was delicious! The zucchini fritters has a nice spice to them, they were not heavy or greasy. For my taste I would have enjoyed a little more corn meal flavor, which was almost non-existent.
Clam chowder and lobster roll

Lastly, there was the lobster roll. It was good. The roll is smaller than many other lobster rolls elsewhere but Eventide's has just as much meat. I had my lobster meat tossed in the house-made mayo with dill. Very refreshing, a nice flavor and change of pace. At $12 it was the cheapest lobster roll I had all week while vacationing in Maine. Most places charge $14 now! 3 out of 5 stars.

Tip: Order the Brown Butter Vinaigrette lobster roll. @unitedwaygp recommended that I get the Brown Butter Vinaigrette lobster. I had forgotten what I was supposed to order and did not find the tweet suggestion until moments after I ordered. A woman next to me had the Brown Butter Vinaigrette lobster roll and it looked soooo good.

Chow!
food chick

~~:~~
Eat, drink, be merry and validate for parking (TM)


Eventide Oyster Co. on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me. Thanks.