Monday, June 2, 2014

Dandelion Greens

Wow you go dandelions.


 "...dandelion greens rank high on the nutritional barometer, surpassing both spinach and broccoli in nutritional value." -- Specialty Store android app. Read more


Last night for dinner I prepared the dandelions greens received from my weekly Homestead Gardens CSA veggie stash. They were simple to prepare but a little more work than most greens that I eat.  My dandelion greens were young and tender with skinny stems most of which were already removed, and the greens were very clean.

Preparation:
Soak for 10 minutes in cold water with 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Drain. Soaking reduces the bitterness of the greens.

Sauteed Dandelion Greens

Cooking:
  • Cut up greens.
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 teaspoon of sea salt. The size of pot and the amount of water depends on the amount greens you have. 
  • Add greens, cook greens 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
  • Drain, then sit aside to cool.

Cut up white mushrooms (and onion if you have it, I had none unfortunately). Saute mushrooms (low heat) in olive oil and one pat of unsalted butter. When mushroom is cooked, add in dandelions greens, tossing greens around to cover with the olive oil, butter, and mushroom liquid. Then add lots of garlic powder (I was lazy did not feel like peeling and chopping garlic); saute it all together (low heat). Serve as a side dish.

I used my sauteed dandelion greens dish to top tortellini pasta served alongside grilled salmon with Herbs de Provence seasoning. It was such a pretty plate of food, I forgot to get a photo.

The dandelion greens were very good, and tender; not at all bitter. 

I did not find the dandelion greens to be as flavorful as spinach or kale, especially lacinato kale. I was thankful the dandelions were not tough and shockingly bitter as I remembered from my youth when my dad thought it would be a good idea for us to eat dandelions. I don't think I had eaten dandelions since.



Chow!
food chick

~~:~~
Eat, drink, be merry and validate for parking (TM)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me. Thanks.