Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Hooray, It's Veggie Day!

I am loving my organic vegetables received each week from Homestead Farms--a community supported family farm, in Millington, Maryland.

Let me just say the basil in this week's stash smells sooooo GOOD! I can't quit sniffing it :)

This is not the first time I have bought shares of vegetables from a farm but it is the best experience due to flexibility from the farm, ease of pickup, communication from the farm (email, newsletter), and use of technology to change my membership--size of share, pickup location, cancel if out of town, etc.

I love vegetables and often eat whole vegetarian meals, which makes the veggie CSA program perfect for me. The one bad thing about getting veggies from the CSA is I cook a lot more instead of eating out. After all, I'm food chick... the one who eats out a lot and shares commentary on her dining experience. Truly though, eating out less is a good thing because I save money and trust me I eat a lot healthier and tastier meals when cooking at home.

Being a shareholder in the CSA and receiving my weekly dividend of fresh, intense flavored, organic vegetables feels like I'm getting a wonderful present every week. 

Sunday, my veggie supply is low and I'm itching to know what I'm getting for the new week. I'm excited for Veggie Day!

The week of June 17, 2014 bought me:

Clockwise from the left:
Beet Greens, Fennel, Dandelion Greens, Patty Pan Squash, Romaine Lettuce, Buttercrunch Lettuce, Kale (it is so pretty), uber-fragrant Basil, and Garlic Scapes.


CSA = community supported agriculture


Chow!
food chick

~~:~~
Eat, drink, be merry and validate for parking (TM)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me. Thanks.